January 12, 2014

Silly Transom Window Visitor

One chilly winter morning, years ago, I awoke to a knocking on my front door. I dragged myself out of the comfort of my warm bed, following my barking dogs to the door. Of course I muttered aloud all the way down the stairs as I fussed with mussed-up hair, "How dare someone wake me at this hour?"

Both dogs, I thought acting silly, sniffed the air as I opened the door to wintry white glare and not a soul stood there. "Well, I declare," I shouted as I followed the pointed up-in-the-air stares and sniffing noses of the canines.




Much to our surprise, a silly squirrel had let himself in and sat still as could be on the transom window sill. Dogs whimpered and whined and danced around the room as I ran to grab a camera to capture a glance of this uninvited visitor of theirs and mine.

Figuring this nutty door knocker seeking shelter from winter winds might be a bit hungry as well as chilly and silly, I handed him a snack of wild bird seed upon which to feed. Sure enough, the critter responded with a raspy sound, seemingly saying, "Thanks a bunch," as I handed him more upon which to munch.

Of course, in the end I had no choice but to chase the poor squirrel back outside, in fear of his hide I thought might just collide with the gnashing of teeth belonging to the dogs beneath his window seat.

With good reason I had given silly squirrel lee from the cold clime for a few moments in time and food for his hungry belly. I smiled as I shooed the nutty fellow out the door, hoping he would one day come back for more.

Do you enjoy my squirrelly poetry and prose? 

If yes, visit Pets and Animals Poetry where there's a bit more in store for you.



Most importantly, if you enjoy a bit of silliness added to your day, or if you wish to share in your own silly way, just hop on over to Everything Susan and join in on her Silly on Sundays blog hop.

I look forward to reading your silly blog post!





14 comments:

  1. Cute story :) and who can afford a little silliness on a Sunday? Or any other day of the week:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Silly Squirrels. My 2 dogs would have been trying to rip that door down. Maggie may be getting old but you should see her whip across the yard when she see's a squirrel. It's like she's a year old again.
    Reminds me of my Dad. He was caught by my step-monster one time training the squirrels to come right into the house with peanuts. She caught him one day when he had the squirrel almost right into the kitchen through the family room. I thought she was going to kill him right there and then.
    Thanks for linking up today with your great story Ruthi! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog Scratch did the same, but Tidbit doesn't care to chase squirrels, she prefers kitty cats!

      Hahaha! to step-monster catching your Dad! That is too funny!

      Delete
  3. Cute 'Squirrely' story, Ruthi. Most dogs like to chase squirrels, I've noticed. Have a good 'Silly Sunday'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dogs do, Ms. Elf! I plan to have a silly and sedate Sunda and hope you do too!

      Delete
  4. LOL...that's some squirrel-ly poetry! My dogs would have freaked out--dog toy loose in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the dogs pretty much listened to me and I was able to get that squirrel out without any damage done, What fun!

      Delete
  5. aawww squirrels are so cute. How cute that he got up in that window sill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute they can be, Marsha. I've no idea how he got up there but it was kind of cute!

      Delete
  6. Love the squirrel story :) What a cute way to start a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! great stuff! You are such a nut! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!