November 11, 2011

Salute of Thanks for Veterans

Regardless of my thoughts and feelings of war (that which I abhor) today is Veterans Day in the USA, and it is the veterans of yore for whom my salute soars...

Nature - American Eagle


Sharing with you a poem I wrote years ago, inspired by a painting I saw online of a mother and child opening a trunk at the foot of a bed which held the memory of a veteran of war...

I Salute
©Ruth Cox

You were there the wondrous day
Upon which I was born,
But you weren’t able to stay,
And from my life you were torn.

Momma holds me ever so tight
As we open up the trunk.
We read the letter every night
About how the ship was sunk.

Your photo catches the tears
Fallen from a loved one’s eye.
Etched into glass are the fears
Of loss we’ll forever cry.

Momma reads aloud by my side
Old news of the war at end,
I wear your jacket with pride,
Life and liberty you did defend.

I listen to what I am told
Of honor held in your heart,
For me the stories are gold,
And from them I’ll never part.

I celebrate the day of my birth,
My moment in time with you.
For all that to me you are worth
I salute our red, white and blue.

Salute a Soldier today.
And pray...
God Bless the USA!

Giving Thanks Challenge
Veterans Day

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and inspiring poem and post. I abhor war also but we are not celebrating war we are remembering the blessing of those who fought for freedom. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Peggy. It is a day of tribute to all who have fought for our country, as well as for their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthi, I love your poem. I heard a quote the other day that said" Jesus takes care of your soul and a soldier takes care of your freedoms." I thought that is so true.

    I'm praying for all of our soldiers. I watched a show last night about homeless soldiers. I can't imagine that we would let any returning soldier become homeless. It is an awful injustic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree, Pam, that it is a sad state of affairs when those who have been to hell and back in service of our country are found jobless and homeless. Good quote!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!