September 28, 2017

Volunteer Plants Produce Pumpkins

Yes! Valentino found another pumpkin in a patch!

My dog Valentino has a nose for the scent of pumpkin fruit on a vine. As we wander around the neighborhood on our dog walks he is quick to show me his nose knows where the good stuff grows.

Dog Valentino Found A Volunteer Pumpkin Patch

Along an alleyway the dog dragged me to a patch of grass with a motley looking vine I recognized as what I thought was a dying pumpkin patch. Sure enough, there was a wee pumpkin growing in its midst.

The owner of the house where Valentino discovered the pumpkin patch was in her yard. I commented to her how much my dog enjoys her pumpkins. She was rather tickled by his vegetarian-like hunting ability.

The woman told me these are volunteer pumpkins. She had not planted the seeds! But she is enjoying these pumpkins too.

The woman also asked me this question: "Did you know that when a vine produces a pumpkin all of the plant nutrients go straight to the fruit growing on the vine and oftentimes its flowers and leaves pretty much die away?"

I had no idea. I learned my something new on this day!


Come walk the dog with me and see a few more pumpkins we found along our way!



A Pumpkin Patch of Reading Pleasure


Ruth Cox is an Amazon Associate and may earn commission based on sales made via links in this article. Thank you for supporting abitosunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!