October 20, 2010

I'm A Grandmother!

Thirty-eight suns ago, life chose to give me a bundle of sunshine when I birthed my only child, my son William -- Billy, to me, to this day. (Unless I'm in the official Mother role, and then it's William!) Nothing could have prepared me for the instant love I would hold in my arms, in every ounce of my being. It is a forever love, a no matter what kind of love.

Yesterday, life chose to give my son a bundle of sunshine when his gal birthed him a son, Liam. As Billy says, "He's the second half of William." Billy and Christina did good, life blessed them with a healthy bundle of boy joy.
Today on the phone with my son, he described how he felt when his child was born: It's instant love. He got it right!

Life isn't always perfect, but a new baby feeling is as close to perfect as it gets. And I'm blessed to have shared this day with my son -- a day of perfection, as close as a day can be.

Holding my son's child for the first time was pure joy. It also reminded me of something my mother had said when my Billy, her first grandchild, was born: I hope he gives you back tenfold what you've given me!

I have to tell you that this nagged me from the moment she said it, right up until yesterday. You see, I was far from the perfect daughter and I really thought in her statement she was wishing a whole lot of pain on me, as I know I'd done a lot of things which had caused my mother pain.

My mother also referred to my Billy as her Miracle Baby and she made sure to shout it to the world. I never fully understood -- until yesterday, when I held my first grandchild.

Yesterday, as I held this new bundle of joy, I received the miracle of life and love, tenfold. Life has blessed me with a whole lot of sunshine. And I could wish for nothing more at this moment in time.

I welcome Liam Anthony to my world!







17 comments:

  1. all the best to each and every one of you! keep me updated on how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marsha! And I will surely keep you updated m'dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Grandmom, and to the happy mom and dad too. Liam is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Ruthi!!! Congrats honey. I'm so happy for you. And I'll never forget his birthday as your grandbaby was born on my son's 20th birthday.

    Congrats Grandma! He's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruthi :) you have to be on cloud 9 and I am so happy for you and your family! Congratulations! I really loved what you wrote about your feelings and how your Mother's comments stuck with you all those years. It hit a cord with me as well and my hat is off to you for your ability to find understanding and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how life experiences always bring perspective. You have a beautiful family! Great pics! Congrats! (I'm visiting from The Girl Next Door and read your other blog also.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia, yes, I am on cloud 9. And ya know, that bundle o' JOY is truly a miracle of the spirit, for the spirit.

    Renee, I'm so glad you stopped by, thank you. And yes, each new experience teaches us a whole new life lesson, if we but open up our heart to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to all of you! He is an absolute doll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Erika, I think Liam's a doll-baby, too! And I'm headed soon to spend the afternoon with him..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Newest follower-thanks for following me and joining me and my $35 CSN giveaway:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to have you following me, too, Happy Homemaker And Momma!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!