November 16, 2013

Autumn Pairing in Haiku

My dog Tidbit and I generally take a walk to the beach at least once a day. Alas, this past week or so, my furry friend has been feeling the autumn of her years, much like I do on occasion.

Our walk on this cool day in fall was short but sweet, staying within a block of home. We stopped for a moment to visit with a lone dove perched on a fence. As we continued to walk, my mind held thoughts of that lonely bird and I could not help but wonder if sighting of the feathery one all alone was an omen of my life to come without my furry best friend.

Toward our wandering end the dove was gone, sadly so. Then I heard the cooing sound from above. I glanced up and mine eyes took in a pairing of feathered friends winged together on a wire. I was inspired by this autumn view and share it now in dove haiku.


Found friend winged on a wire.
 
 
 
 
 

I am linking this post up with the Six Word Saturday blog hop, where we describe our day in six words (with or without an explanation.) You are invited to hop along with us!

13 comments:

  1. I hope you are wrong about your omen. Would be such a sorrowful thing!

    Nice words in the haiku, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mlissabeth. I am hoping the paired view of doves is a sign me and my girl have many more walks to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. Like a bird on the wire springs to mind, Ruthi.
    Sad when a boisterous companion slows down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that phrase crossed my mind too, restlessjo, and yes it is sad watching my girl grow old.

      Delete
  3. How sweet to have a companion on your walks at the beach! I know you must love your little Tidbit very much. We had a special pup we got when we first got married and he was with us for 12 years. He was a miniature Collie named Poco. We just never got another after his passing...and we think of him often. We have 11 grandkids to keep us busy...and so we are happy and content. But I know pets are very special.

    Doves are so pretty...and I love that they mate for life. I love their soft cooing too.

    Happy Saturday!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, I imagine you do still think of your Poco. I've lost furry friends before and still think of them often. I am really not ready to lose my precious Tidbit. But I will have another dog after her, as I cannot imagine life without a dog by my side.

      Oh yes, I love doves! I have an empty bird cage sitting here awaiting a pair of doves! I am getting the blue doves, but want a pair, as yes, they love for life and I don't want them to be denied that pleasure.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Ruth, let's connect here, I just shared your post on my google+ wall ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anja, thanks so much for stopping by! And I just connected with you and visited your Happiness blog!

      Delete
  5. The doves around here are very messy. But I forgive them. Seems that since or porch got painted with some bug killer in the pain the doves aren't 'messing' around much any more.

    Our Dog, Adi, died last year in September. You may remember. Someone told me that God made it so that people outlive their pets.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "our" and "paint" mistakes noted above. ('or' and 'pain')

      Delete
  6. Yes, Jim, doves (pigeons) can be messy! Bug killer in the paint is something I've not heard of but will remember for the future.

    Whoever told you God made it so our dogs die before us - wise! I have, actually, prayed that is the case for me and my dog as I cannot imagine her heartbreak if I were to leave her like that.

    I have a book you might enjoy, Review Here for If I Should Die Before My Dog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, and slightly haunting, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!