July 4, 2010

Declaration of Independence -- Happy 4th of July USA!

I Stand Alone
©Ruth Cox
 
I see myself standing in the shadows of the Ohio Buckeye and family tree.

On this night, the eve of the anniversary of my country's, "Declaration of Independence," I stood alone.

Under the cover of the thundering red, white and blue display, I contemplated what the bell of freedom rang to my forefathers. I contemplated the peal of peace heard by those who cried the "Trail of Tears." I contemplated how the toll of liberty echoed through plantation fields, reverberant in the pleas of the immigrants who sought harbour under "Lady Liberty."

As the grand finale unveils its true color over the valley below, I am jolted back to reality by a drunken throng shouting "God bless America!" and "Let freedom ring!"

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? With utter contempt, I reflect upon the woeful plight of those who are not free, those bound by obligatory restraints imposed upon them by the powers that be. I reflect upon the wretched condition of citizens in my community shackled by the drive to survive.

On this night, the eve of the anniversary of my country's, "Declaration of Independence," I stand alone.

I am standing in the shadows of the Ohio Buckeye and family tree.




9 comments:

  1. This is very nice. Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed and safe Independence Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching, Ruthi! I'm still amazed at how you can put so much into a writing and cover so much with just a few words.

    I hope your 4th was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Karen! It was just another day here, and a day of lovin' the dogs through all the racket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and touching!

    I've awarded you with a versatile blogger award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully told Ruthi. Touching and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, thank you!

    Lloyd, nice to see you stop by!

    Mary... thank you ever so much for the Versatile Blosgger Award! I'm honored, but must decline, as I received it a week or two ago and passed it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful.

    By the way, I signed up under you for SideTick.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Maria, in double time! I'll head over to SideTick to greet you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!